Gov. Dayton calls for independent federal investigation into Falcon Heights shooting

PHOTO: 32-year-old Philando Castile was shot and killed by a St. Anthony Police officer (MINNEAPOLIS) while in his car during a traffic stop. His girlfriend, Lavisha Reynolds live streamed the aftermath on Facebook live., Photo Date: Undated - Photo: Castile Family / MGN

ST. PAUL (Valley News Live) - Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton has requested an immediate federal investigation into the shooting death of a man in Falcon Heights, Minnesota Wednesday night.

Gov. Dayton released a statement on Thursday morning regarding the death of Philando Castile, who was shot by a police officer during a routine traffic stop.

“I extend my deepest condolences to the family, friends, and community of Philando Castile. Our state today grieves with them," Dayton said. “This morning, I spoke by phone with White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough to request that the U.S. Department of Justice begin an immediate independent federal investigation into this matter."

Overnight, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension began an independent investigation at the state level. They are currently collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses to determine exactly what happened.

No one besides Castile was injured in the shooting. In the car with him were a young girl and an adult woman, who live-streamed the immediate aftermath of the shooting on Facebook.

"Stay with me," are the first words heard in her video. "We got pulled over for a busted tail light in the back."

The camera shows the woman speaking, then turns to a man in a white shirt, covered in blood. Out the window appears to be a police officer with his gun drawn.

The nearly 10-minute video garnered more than 1 million views before it was pulled from Facebook. It was then re-released on the social media platform with a graphic warning.

Two officers present when the incident occurred -- a primary officer and a backup officer, which is standard procedure.

The St. Anthony's Police Department doesn't have body cameras, according to the department's office manager, Kim Brazil.

One officer has been placed on standard paid administrative leave. No police were injured.