Whistleblower says mold near apartment caused mother's illness

By  | 

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (Valley News Live) "Well, I'm fricken pissed," said Ernst Peltier. "It's something that needs to be addressed by our property managers."

He said mold on the exterior of the garages just across from his ground-level apartment is causing serious heath consequences.

"You can tell the wind comes right through here and if we open up our windows during the summer time or spring, all that's coming right into our house," Peltier said.

He said the apartment company IRET mislead him from the get go.

"They kind of underhandedly shown us a very nice apartment and then we got the apartment we currently have," Peltier said.

What makes matters worse is the health of his mother.

"She had an upper respiratory system infection earlier last year due to the mold," he said. "And we fought that for, oh shoot, since her immune system disorder kind of knocks out her immune system, we fought it for a good three months."

He said IRET property managers have said they'd fix the problem, but never did. Now, he's moving out, concerned about health complications returning for his mom.

"I know there is a lot of elderly folk in this area that depend on living in a healthy environment," Peltier said. "If you have elderly folks, that you live with, or if you have grandparents or sick children, stay away from mold."

Multiple calls for comment from IRET apartments went unanswered.

The Center for Diseases and Control does say that people with weakened immune systems are susceptible to getting mold infections.