Powerful storm leaves 9 dead, swaths of East Coast in the dark

By  | 

Hundreds of thousands of Americans were without power and at least nine deaths were said to be related to a nor'easter that thrashed the East Coast with heavy winds, rain and snow on Friday.

Many of the deaths were due to falling trees, officials said. Police in Andover Township, New Jersey, said a 41-year-old man was killed when he came into contact with downed power lines on Friday evening.

More than a dozen utility companies reported that hundreds of thousands of their customers were affected by the powerful storm.

More than 235,000 customers were without power in Massachusetts on Saturday night, according to the state's Emergency Management Agency, after initial reports of 450,000 without electricity.

New Jersey power companies said Saturday that more than 164,000 customers were affected by outages, and Pennsylvania companies PECO, PPL and West Penn Power had more than 288,000 customers experience outages.

Virginia power companies Dominion Energy and Novec Power said nearly 160,000 were affected by the storm.

The heavy winds and downed trees also led to the deaths of eight people in Virginia, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, authorities said.

Early Friday morning, a tree fell onto a Virginia home and killed 6-year-old Anthony Hamilton while he was sleeping, Chesterfield County Police reported. Later in the day, Putnam County Sheriff Robert L. Langley Jr. in New York said that an 11-year-old boy died when a tree fell onto his home and trapped him underneath. His mother, who was at home with the child, was hospitalized.

Though the powerful winds and rain from Georgia to New England caused heavy flooding and flight cancellations Friday, the National Weather Service reported improving conditions "across the Northeast and northern Mid-Atlantic states" for the weekend.

Nevertheless, travelers faced more than 1,400 canceled flights and nearly 2,400 delays on Saturday, according to FlightAware.com.

Amtrak, which had temporarily suspended service between Washington and Boston, resumed modified service in the Northeast corridor by Saturday morning and said it was scheduled to be fully operational on Sunday.

In New York City, 750 trees were reportedly downed by the wind, according to Eric Phillips, Mayor Bill de Blasio's press secretary. The high winds and rainfall made power failures a difficult issue.

"Those two things create an environment of power outages — downed power lines and trees blocking roadways," said Steve Bellone, county executive of Suffolk County in New York.

While strong winds whipped through the Northeast region on Friday, the Palisades Interstate Parkway Police reported that four barges attached to the Tappan Zee Bridge project came loose in the Hudson River, although it was unclear if it was directly related to the storm.

Two of the vessel ran aground on the New Jersey side of the river, one sank near the Yonkers Sewer Treatment Plant, and a number of commercial tugboats, the U.S. Coast Guard and the New York City Fire Department worked to secure the fourth barge, Parkway Police reported.