Update: Police dispatched to apartment for deceased male

Published: Apr. 18, 2019 at 9:24 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Update (2:52 p.m.): Following Thursday's unsuccessful attempts to make contact with a suicidal person in a South Fargo apartment, police say they were dispatched to the same apartment for a deceased male Friday.

Police responded to a report of a suicidal male on the 1000 block of 43 1/2 Street South late Thursday. Police say after exhausting all options, multiple unsuccessful attempts to make contact with the male, and multiple hours later, a decision to leave the scene was made in an attempt to de-escalate the situation.

Around noon on Friday, Fargo Police was dispatched to the same location for a deceased male.

At this time, police are asking the public in respecting the privacy of his family and friends as they grieve their loss.

No further information is available at this time, as it's an ongoing investigation.


Update (11:07 p.m.): Fargo police say they''re leaving the scene after unsuccessful attempts to communicate with the armed suicidal man.

"After consulting with the family, we believe the best way to deescalate the situation is for law enforcement to leave the scene," Fargo Police Department Spokeswoman Jessica Schindeldecker said. "We pray the male finds peace throughout the night, and get the help he needs."


(Original) Police have set up a perimeter in a South Fargo neighborhood as they respond to someone who is suicidal and armed - and barricaded inside an apartment.

The incident is taking place in the 1000 block of 43 1/2 Street South.

That's the Cheyenne Estates Apartments, near Petco.

A witness says the apartment building was evacuated, and that the suicidal person has been inside since 3 pm.

Officers on the scene have been patient - and so have the residents who were evacuated. They are sitting in their cars in the parking lots and streets around the apartment building.

An officer on the scene tells us, the suspect is armed with a gun. They add police have been trying to make contact with him since around 7 Thursday night. Police tell us, they don't believe there is any threat to the public. The identity of the man inside is unknown.