Overheating causes fire at American Crystal Sugar Company

Moorhead, Minn. (Valley News Live) Around 6 a.m. the Moorhead Fire Department was called to the American Crystal Sugar Company.

Fire officials say the flames started within the processing system. Workers noticed embers coming out of a smoke stack. They then noticed that something within the stack was overheating, causing a fire to break out. Crews at the company worked quickly to put out the fire by using their own suppression system.

No alarms were activated and the department was called in to make sure no embers made it onto the roof and to do a thorough inspection.

There were no injuries reported.