Officials: Cause of Mandan apartment fire appears accidental

MANDAN, N.D. (AP) Investigators believe an apartment building fire that displaced dozens of families in Mandan was accidental, but still haven't pinpointed a cause of the blaze.

The fire last Sunday destroyed the roof of the 42-unit building. Mandan building official Shawn Ouradnik says that other than the roof, the structure appears to be sound. The property management company, Eagle Eye Management, will to determine if rebuilding is an option.

All tenants made it out of the building safely. Seven firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion while battling the blaze. Ouradnik tells the Bismarck Tribune tenants have since been allowed to retrieve belongings from the building.