Four people taken to Grand Forks hospital following hazmat situation

GRAND FORKS, N.D. Four people are ok this morning after being exposed to chlorine gas in Grand Forks. Fire officials say a homeowner poured bleach into a plugged floor drain and it reacted with a drain cleaner causing the gas. Four people in the home were taken to the hospital to be checked out.

The full press release can be seen below:

----------------

Grand Forks, ND – At approximately 8:45pm, Friday February 22 the Grand Forks Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team responded to 805 Cherry Street for a reported chemical reaction involving bleach that caused respiratory distress to home occupants.
Hazmat personnel arrived on scene to discover that the home owner had poured bleach into a plugged floor drain in the basement. The bleach reacted with a sulfuric acid drain cleaner creating chlorine gas. The 4 occupants of the home were transported by paramedics to Altru Hospital for evaluation.
Hazmat personnel were able to clear floor drain of obstruction and flush with a large quantity of water before ventilating home of chlorine odor.
7 Grand Forks Fire Department personnel responded to the scene with assistance from the Grand Forks Police Department and Altru Hospital paramedics.