Family who lost home in fire wants answers from Walsh County officials

By  | 

WALSH COUNTY, N.D. (Valley News Live) A family in Walsh County is demanding answers from public leaders nearly a month after a fire destroyed their home.

“We have no answers, we’d like some answers,” Angela Wright said.

On November 12, the Wright home caught on fire in Warsaw, North Dakota. Their house, six pets, and belongings were lost.

The family of five is now displaced and is living in a camper not far from where their home was.

Minto and Warsaw are 5.4 miles apart. Wright previously said the Minto Volunteer Fire Department took nearly an hour to respond.

She said she believed that her home would’ve been saved if firefighters had showed up sooner.

“One in particular person said, it was a holiday and everyone was with their families on that day. And they were volunteers,” Wright said.

We made several attempts to get an on-camera interview with someone from the Minto Volunteer Fire Department, but the department declined.

Nonetheless, the fire department issued a statement that says it responded to the fire in less than 15 minutes.

Firefighters said the original page came in at 10:36 a.m. on November 12 and they made it to the scene by 10:49 a.m.

Wright, however, took issue with their timings.

She showed us a screen shot of November 12 that says she first called 911 at 10:27 a.m. then called again at 10:43 a.m.

“Now whether it took a minute to gather my information, we’ll say 10:28. But that’s nowhere near the times,” Wright said.

We filed an open records requests for the 911 tapes of that day, but the Walsh County Sheriff has refused to release them pending the fire marshal's report.

We also contacted the state fire marshal’s office and it said its investigation into what caused the fire is not done yet.