Chilling new details released around Jayme Closs kidnapping

Published: Jan. 14, 2019 at 7:48 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

What started out as a quiet night in Wisconsin turned into a grim crime scene that has captivated the nation. 13-year old Jayme Closs was missing for 88 days after police found her parents shot to death in their home. And now, we're learning shocking new details about what happened during those 2 and a half months and the extent of planning the accused did before admittedly taking Closs.

The suspect in this case, Jake Patterson told investigators he was determined to take Jayme Closs and would kill anyone who saw him. He also carefully planned how the night would unfold, even shaving his head and facial hair to leave as little DNA behind as possible.

And the night of Closs's kidnapping wasn't the first time Patterson tried to kidnap her. The criminal complaint says Patterson tried to take Closs two other times. He claims, the first time he didn't because there was too many cars in the driveway and another time, there was people walking around in the home.

Now a lot of you might be wondering ‘why Jayme?’

In this complaint Patterson says, he saw Jayme getting on a school bus weeks before the kidnapping and didn't know who she was but knew she was the girl he was going to take.

We’re also learning more tonight about what happened at Patterson’s home. Closs told investigators after arriving at the accused house, he told her to take her clothes off to get rid of any evidence. He then made her put pajamas on.

In the complaint, Closs says Patterson made her hide under his bed with a wall of weights pushed-up on totes and laundry bins, keeping Closs from escaping.

Closs told police, Patterson sometimes made her stay under the bed for up to 12 hours at a time with no food, water or bathroom breaks. She says, Patterson would threaten her and say he would do ‘bad things to her’ if she tried to come out.

But finally on January 10th, Closs was able to break free. She says, Patterson told her he would be gone for 5 or 6 hours and that's when she pushed the weights and crawled out from the bed.

When Patterson returned home he says, he saw Closs was gone and followed her footsteps outside. Patterson says in this complaint, he basically assumed he had gotten away with the murders and kidnapping since he wasn't caught within the first 2 weeks.

Patterson was formally charged today with two first-degree intentional homicide charges, one charge of kidnapping and one charge of armed burglary. Authorities have not said whether Jayme was sexually assaulted. The complaint does not charge Patterson with any form of sexual assault. As for Jayme, she's now with her extended family and recovering.

You can find a full copy of the criminal complaint attached to this web story.