(North Dakota Today) Memorial Day Weekend is the kick-off to summer and hopefully lots of good times relaxing, playing, and enjoying outdoor cookouts.
Entertaining friends and family with delicious food is a lot of fun, but can sometimes be stressful with complicated recipes and expensive ingredients.
Making simple, thrifty side dishes ahead of the weekend can reduce stress, save money, and make entertaining easy and fun without breaking the bank.
Megan Myrdal with the Northarvest Bean Growers Association has some great options in our Thrifty Thursday segment.
Black Bean Salsa
• Total Time: 10 minutes
• Servings: 4
• 1 can (15 oz) Black Beans, rinsed and drained*
• 1 can (8 oz) shoepeg corn, drained
• 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (basil, garlic, oregano flavored)
• 1 can (10 oz) Ro-tel diced tomatoes
• 8 oz Italian dressing
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 medium jalapeno, chopped
1. Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours. Serve with tortilla chips.
Beautiful Bean Salsa
• Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes (10 mins active, 2 hrs marinate)
• Servings: 6 cups
• 2 cans (28 oz) BUSH'S® Boston Recipe Baked Beans
• 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
• 2 cans (2.25 oz) chopped black olives, drained
• 2 pkgs (10 oz) frozen corn, thawed
• 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
• 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/2 cup chopped green onion
• 1/2 cup lime juice
• 1 Tbsp chopped jalapeno peppers
• 1 tsp cumin
• Tortilla chips
1. Combine all ingredients, except tortilla chips; mix well. Refrigerate, covered, two to three hours to allow flavors to blend.
2. Stir before serving with tortilla chips.
Recipe Source: Bush's Beans