Healthy cooking instructors, Nicolle Dew and Nikki Stoering, join us to break down meal prepping and share some simple recipes with us!
Roasted Chicken with Vegetables:
(4 meal prep containers)
* 2 medium chicken breasts boneless skinless cut into 1/2 inch pieces
* 1 cup broccoli florets frozen or fresh
* 1 small red onion chopped
* 1 cup grape or plum tomatoes
* 2 cloves garlic minced
* 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper optional
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional * 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2-4 cups cooked rice of choice optional
* Pre-heat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
* Place the chicken and veggies in the baking dish. Sprinkle all the spices and garlic evenly over the chicken and veggies. Drizzle with the olive oil.
* Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are charred and chicken is tender.
* Place 1/2 or 1 cup of cooked rice of choice into 4 individual meal prep containers. Divide chicken and veggies evenly on top of the rice. Cover and store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer up to 2 months.
* 2 whole wheat 6-inch pita pockets
* 1 tsp. canola or corn oil
* 1/4 cup chopped green onions
* 2/3 cup soy-based sausage crumbles
* 1 cup egg substitute
* 2 tbsp. salsa, lowest sodium available
* In a medium skillet on medium-high heat, warm the pitas slightly, about 30 seconds on each side. Transfer to a plate and cover with another plate to keep warm.
* Pour the oil in the skillet coating the bottom. Cook the green onions for about 2 minutes or until beginning to soften.
* Stir in the sausage crumble. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until heated through.
* Pour in the egg substitute. Reduce heat to medium low.
* Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until set, stirring often.
* Cut the pitas in half. Spoon the egg mixture into each.
* Drizzle with salsa