“Justice For Shane” Rally held for man shot and killed by Fargo Police officer

Published: Jul. 11, 2022 at 12:27 PM CDT|Updated: Jul. 11, 2022 at 7:42 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FARGO, N.D. (Valley News Live) - A rally took place at Fargo City Hall Monday evening, calling for justice for a man who was shot and killed by a Fargo Police officer on Friday, July 8.

Just after 8:00 a.m. Friday, Fargo Police received a call about three people slumped over in a van inside a garage at a south Fargo apartment complex. Police say the van was reported stolen a few days earlier. When officers approached the vehicle, they say the driver, 28-year-old Shane Netterville, tried to drive away.

Officer Adam O’Brien, and 11-year veteran with the department, fired his gun, striking Netterville. He was rushed to the hospital where he later died. O’Brien is on standard administrative leave until the investigation is complete.

The Facebook event for Monday’s rally stated: “We demand the release of the body cam footage. Whether Shane was driving the vehicle with homicidal intent or not, police should never be the judge, the jury, and the executioner. Shane was a son, brother, a wonderful uncle, and a member of this community.”

Those who spoke at the rally state they want transparency and answers from Fargo Police and city leaders, and demand the body camera footage, as well as the dash camera footage to be released as soon as possible.

“There is an ongoing genocide of our people that needs to stop,” one woman at the rally said.

One of Netterville’s brothers, Gary, said his brother was a goofy guy who loved cats. Netterville said he and his family met with Fargo Police Chief David Zibolski, members from the BCI, as well as Fargo Mayor Tim Mahoney early Monday morning. Netterville says based on the meeting, he feels it’s going to be a long time until anyone has answers and doesn’t believe the footage will be released early like the public and the family want.

“I just want to get to the bottom of it, know what happened, so me and my whole family can have peace of mind at ease because it’s already been four days and we don’t know exactly what happened,” Netterville said.

Netterville says he and his family have yet to see his brother’s body and can’t yet lay him to rest. He says they weren’t allowed to go to the hospital Friday to say their goodbyes and don’t know when they will be able to give him a proper funeral and burial.

While Netterville has a lengthy criminal record, Gary says his brother would never try to run a cop over.

“Absolutely not,” he said. “He’s funny, he’s a goof and that’s why this was such a shock to hear that this happened to him.”

25-year-old Cody Dunn was taken into custody after running from the stolen vehicle on Friday. Police are still looking for a third man who ran from the scene, identified as Derek Stanley.

Copyright 2022 KVLY. All rights reserved.