UPDATE: Man who died in Grand Forks apartment fire identified
GRAND FORKS, N.D. (Valley News Live) - The Grand Forks Police and Fire Departments responded to an apartment fire at 21 South 4th Street around 4:15 a.m. on Saturday, March 26.
Grand Forks Police say 45-year-old Derek Andersen died of his injuries. They add that the fire is being classified as accidental, saying it started after a cigarette that wasn’t discarded properly started nearby materials on fire.
The Fire Department urges people to follow these fire safety steps:
- Properly dispose of smoking materials in a non-combustible container.
- Ensure working smoke detectors are present and regularly replace the batteries.
- Implement an emergency plan for your home and practice it regularly.
Copyright 2022 KVLY. All rights reserved.