UPDATE: 40-year-old woman dies after Grand Forks fire
GRAND FORKS, N.D. (Valley News Live) - One woman is dead following a fire at a Grand Forks Home.
The Grand Forks Fire Department says it happened in the 2100 block of 10th Ave. N. around 2 a.m. on Saturday, January 15.
One of the people in the house called 911 and said they weren’t able to get out of their room because the door was incredibly hot. When firefighters and police arrived, they said they could see flames taking over parts of the home.
Crews say they had to bust through a window to get the caller out. While firefighters were working to get the caller out, they found another person who had to be saved from the flames.
Both people in the house were eventually saved and rushed to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
40-year-old Sarah Marie Gatica died from her injuries after the fire. Gatica was one of the two victims transported to the Altru Hospital.
Authorities are now confirming the fire started from a cigarette that wasn’t put our properly and then started a mattress on fire, eventually spreading to the rest of the home.
Copyright 2022 KVLY. All rights reserved.