Gov. Walz launches ‘Kids Deserve A Shot’ program for kids
FARGO, N.D. (Valley News Live) - Governor Walz launched the ‘Kids Deserve a Shot’ Vaccine Incentive Program for Minnesotans aged 5-11 years old on Tuesday.
The next phase of the ‘Kids Deserve a Shot’ vaccine incentive program is meant to encourage Minnesota families to get their kids, aged 5- to 11-years-old, fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The Walz-Flanagan Administration says they are committed to providing the resources necessary to make sure kids stay healthy and in school, and that includes getting as many families vaccinated as possible.
While Minnesota is one of the leaders in the nation in vaccinating children 5- to-11 years old, this is still the lowest rate of vaccination among eligible age groups in the state. As the Omicron variant causes record-breaking new cases across the nation, Governor Walz hopes the program will boost vaccination rates among this eligible age group, which will help protect children against severe illness and hospitalizations.
“As Omicron surges across our nation, we’re continuing to use every resource we have to keep our families safe and healthy,” said Governor Walz. “There’s a lot of highly transmissible virus circulating in our communities, but getting our children 5-11 years old vaccinated gives them critical protection against severe illness and hospitalization from COVID-19 and helps keep them in school. You’ll get $200 cash in your pocket for getting this easy vaccination done at the start of the year.”
“There’s no better way to keep your family safe than by getting everyone who is eligible vaccinated,” said Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan. “We want to help Minnesotans start the year off by getting those vaccinations done and getting $200 in their pockets. Kids deserve a shot at a healthy 2022, and COVID-19 vaccines are one of the best tools to get us there.”
$200 Visa Gift Cards
Minnesota families who get their 5- to 11-year-old fully vaccinated in January and February can get a $200 Visa gift card. In order to be eligible, Minnesotans 5-11 must receive their first and second dose between January 1 and February 28.
Registration for the $200 Visa gift card will open at 10:00am on January 24, 2022 and close at 11:59pm on February 28, 2022. Parents/Guardians can register their 5- to 11-year-old once they have completed their two-dose series.
$100,000 Minnesota College Scholarship Drawings
Later this spring, there will be drawings for five $100,000 Minnesota college scholarship drawings for all Minnesotans 5-11 years old who are fully vaccinated. All Minnesotans 5-11 years old who completed their first and second doses at any point up to the registration deadline will be eligible to be entered for a chance to win a $100,000 college scholarship. Details on the drawings will be announced in the coming months.
Minnesotans can learn more about the ‘Kids Deserve a Shot’ program at: https://mn.gov/covid19/vaccine/vaccine-rewards/kids-deserve-a-shot/index.jsp.
How families can find a shot for their child:
· Visit mn.gov/vaxforkids to find clinic locations near you.
· Check with their pediatrician, family medicine clinic, or local pharmacy about appointments.
· Watch for vaccination clinics being offered at schools or other community locations around Minnesota.
How Minnesotans can get their free shot:
· Use the state’s Vaccine Locator Map to find a vaccine provider near you.
· Check for vaccine appointments at Vaccines.gov, where you can search for appointments by vaccine type (e.g., Pfizer).
· Contact your primary health care provider or a local pharmacy.
· Walk in to or make an appointment at one of Minnesota’s COVID-19 Community Vaccination sites.
The Minnesota Department of Health COVID-19 Public Hotline is 1-833-431-2053. It’s open from Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. & Sat., 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
How Minnesotans can get a COVID-19 test:
· Walk in or schedule an appointment for a test at one of the state’s free community testing sites across Minnesota: COVID-19 Community Testing Sites.
· Order a test through the state’s free at-home COVID-19 testing program: COVID-19 Test at Home.
· Find a testing option near you through the state’s Find Testing Locations map: Find Testing Locations.
Copyright 2022 KVLY. All rights reserved.