UPDATE: Disassembled and ignited lithium-ion batteries cause fire that destroys Fargo mobile home
FARGO, N.D. (Valley News Live) - The Fargo Fire Department has determined the cause of a fire that destroyed a family’s home on New Year’s Eve. It happened in the 600 block of Waco Lane South.
Fire Marshal Ryan Erickson says lithium-ion batteries were taken apart and ignited nearby bedding. The owner of the home told Valley News Live that she saw a flame in her son’s bedroom and tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher. When the fire extinguisher ran out, the home became engulfed in a matter of minutes.
Both Fargo and West Fargo Fire Departments responded around 11:00 a.m. on December 31 to get the fire under control. Erickson says damage is estimated at $40,000.
The woman was able to get herself and her three children out of the home without injury, but they lost four pets in the fire. The woman said it was the first home she’s owned and it’s expected to be a total loss.
Copyright 2021 KVLY. All rights reserved.