Advertisement

Carbon monoxide call tied to boiler in S. Fargo apartment, two taken to hospital

Published: Dec. 22, 2021 at 11:43 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FARGO, N.D. (Valley News Live) - High levels of Carbon Monoxide lead to a large first responder presence at an apartment building in the 4700 block of 46th St. S. Wednesday morning into the afternoon hours.

Fargo Fire Battalion Chief Lee Soeth says the levels of carbon monoxide came from a boiler inside the apartment.

“We opened their mechanical room and we were getting readings over 1600 parts per million which is, very bad, almost fatal,” Soeth said.

Officials say they responded to the building Wednesday morning shortly after 11 a.m., for a welfare check on someone living inside the building. Fargo Police say the person was found unresponsive in their apartment and was taken to a local emergency room. Their condition is unknown at this time.

Soeth says another person was also found with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and was also taken by ambulance to the hospital. Soeth says the two victims lived directly above the boiler room in the building, one on the second floor, the other on the third.

Emergency crews were able to make contact with every resident inside the apartment complex and worked to ventilate the building for over two hours before clearing the scene.

“We did not evacuate because of temperatures outside and the levels inside the apartments were down below 20. We did monitor all floors while we were exhausting out the other room and they never climbed up to a lever that was a worry,” Soeth said.

Officials say tenants are required to have carbon monoxide monitors in their units, however officials were unsure if there was one in each of the units impacted.

Two residents of the apartment tell Valley News Live they called management of the complex, Alliance Property Management, on Monday night to report a carbon monoxide alarm going off both in the mechanical room, the other on the second floor. One residents says they never received a call back from management, while the other says a manager came to the building, but is unsure what actions were taken.

“Management should’ve done something that night. The manager came but I’m not sure what he did. The alarm quit going off. But clearly the issue hadn’t been fixed or we wouldn’t have had this episode today,” one resident told Valley News Live.

Alliance Management was not able to comment on the matter as of this publication.

F-M Ambulance Major Incident Transport Unit
F-M Ambulance Major Incident Transport Unit(Valley News Live)

Copyright 2021 KVLY. All rights reserved.