The stairwells at the Sanford Medical Center Fargo, Sanford Broadway Medical Building, Sanford Southpointe Clinic and Sanford South University are plastered with encouragements on posters.
There are six different messages. Three of the designs were for outside the stairwells to encourage people to take the stairs. These included:
· Avoid awkward silences. Take the stairs.
· Free stair master here.
· Race the elevator. Double dare you.
The other three were developed to motivate people to continue upward on the stairs once they started taking the stairs:
· Reach for the stars! …or the next floor.
· I’d give you a high five for taking the stairs, but I’m a wall. Oh what the heck.
· Show me your stair climbing face! #SanfordFamily
Becky Moch is the Sanford Health Director of Office of Patient Experience. She says, "I think it's a good reminder and a good tickler for people." She adds, "you know, there's another option for you. Go over there and take those stairs. You will feel better."
Sanford had 200 of the signs made. They are not all up yet, but the marketing team is working on it - one step at a time.