Quantcast

Moorhead Family Displaced by Duplex Fire - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Moorhead Family Displaced by Duplex Fire

Posted: Updated:
A Moorhead family of six was displaced from their home Tuesday night, after the home was severely damaged in a fire.

Shortly after 5:30 in the evening, emergency crews responded to a duplex fire on the 500 block of 19th Street South in Moorhead. They arrived to find smoke and fire coming out of a back bedroom in the basement. Moorhead fire officials say it took about 10-15 minutes to put out the fire with a single hose. Everyone made it out of the home safely.

While it is still under investigation, officials say the fire may have started when a child ignited a sheet while playing with a lighter.

"Our take back to folks at home would be to keep lighters out of the reach of children and make sure they're secured well," says Moorhead Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Wallin. "But also make sure you have working smoke detectors. They went off today and helped alert everybody in the house to get out, and no lives were lost."

Officials say the fire caused extensive damage in the basement and smoke damage upstairs. The American Red Cross is assisting the family with food and shelter.



Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.