Quantcast

Compost Site Fire Causing Odor in Moorhead & Dilworth - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Compost Site Fire Causing Odor in Moorhead & Dilworth

Posted: Updated:

Fargo-Moorhead fire crews were called back out to a large wood chip pile in Moorhead Friday afternoon that has been smoldering since Tuesday. The pile is at the Moorhead compost site on Highway 75.

Fire crews say the bulk of the smoldering material is below the surface, making it tough to put out. The fire intensified on Friday because of strong winds, which are driving smoke into residential areas of Moorhead and Dilworth.

The fire at the large wood chip pile was first noticed Tuesday and it had been smoldering for more than 24 hours. Since the fire is so deep within the compost, the only way to extinguish it is to slowly break the pile down using front end loaders and heavy equipment. 

City workers and private contractors have been working daily on slowly putting the fire out. Crews say the smoke should clear Friday evening as winds die down, but the wood chips will likely smolder for a few more days.

The burning material is composed of wood chips ground up from trees at the compost site and do not contain chemicals. The hazards posed by the smoke should be no different than that from a wood fired stove or campfire.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.