Quantcast

UPDATE: Extension Cord Sparks Grand Forks Mobile Home Fire - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

UPDATE: Extension Cord Sparks Grand Forks Mobile Home Fire

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE

The Grand Forks Fire Department says an improperly used extension cord is what sparked a fire in a home earlier this week. The fire at 2014 at 5021 Coppergate Drive is being classified as accidental.

Fire investigators say the fire happened Wednesday when an extension cord failed and it caught nearby combustibles on fire. The home suffered extensive fire and smoke damage was done to the home, about $75,000 dollars worth.

Smoke detectors woke up the homeowner, who escaped through a bedroom window. The Grand Forks Fire Department gives the following reminders to all homeowners:

  • Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
  • Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
  • Follow the manufacturer's instructions for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
  • If outlets or switches feel warm, you experience frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuits, flickering or dimming lights, please call a qualified electrician.

ORIGINAL STORY

Grand Forks fire crews were called out to a fire at a mobile home early Wednesday morning. It happened just before 5:00 a.m. at 5021 Copper Gate Drive.

Crews encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the home when they arrived but were able to quickly bring it under control.

The people living there escaped out a bedroom window and no injuries were reported.  But damage is estimated at about $75,000.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.