Quantcast

Restaurant Report Card: Grand Forks Edition - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Restaurant Report Card: Grand Forks Edition

Posted: Updated:

It can be hard to know exactly what's going on in the kitchen of your favorite restaurants. That's why every Tuesday we bring you a serving of our restaurant report card. We check out the health inspectors reports and give you the scoop. After getting requests to check out the northern valley, Valley News team's Eric Crest traveled to Grand Forks.

With more than 300 restaurants to keep an eye on health inspectors in Grand Forks have their hands full day in and day out.

"We like to go around with the managers and as we see issues we find those teachable moments. We can pull an employee to the side and ask them how do you do this? Show me what the steps are for this. Make sure they understand the procedures that they need to follow," says Javin Bedard the Environmental Health Supervisor in Grand Forks.

This week we look into two restaurants in Grand Forks. Starting with the Hub Bar and Grill off of 3rd Street North. In their last three inspections they violated 29 health codes and almost all of the most recent violations were repeated from their last inspection.

The health inspector found insects that likely came out of a hole in the kitchen that has been there for more than a year. They have been written up for it in every inspection we got our hands on. The inspector also found mold in the ice machine and outdated food in the refrigerator.

Moving on to the Pita Pit off of South Washington Street. They were written up 21 times over their last three inspections. Of the various violations the refrigerator temperature seemed to be a consistent problem.

"It's the critical items that we really want to focus on. Those are the ones that could effect the safety of the food," says Bedard.

To date the manager at the Pita Pit says all coolers now have working thermometers. But on the most recent inspection an unexpected broken refrigerator exposed the lack of knowledge about food temperatures the employees had. No one at this shop on that unexpected visit knew how cold the refrigerator had to be to keep food safe.

The health inspector also had to explain to the employees that very day that hands need to be washed every time new rubber gloves are put on.

The Pita Pit manager says his employees have since been more thoroughly trained.

If you want to see the full report of restaurants inspected in Grand Forks, go to the Grand Forks city website or just visit Valley News Live and click on the hot button.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.