UPDATE: Gasoline in Fireplace Starts Moorhead House Fire - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

UPDATE: Gasoline in Fireplace Starts Moorhead House Fire

Posted: Updated:


The Moorhead Fire Department has determined the cause of a fire on Wednesday night that killed an area family's pet.  The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

Assistant Fire Marshal Chad Stangeland says gasoline was used to start a fire in the fireplace, and that is what created the fire. Stangeland says this highlights the dangers of gasoline and that is should never be used to start a fire, inside or outside.

Stangeland says gasoline vapors can accumulate very quickly and when ignited can cause flash fires, with a high probability of burning the person starting the fire. In this case, both occupants only had slight smoke inhalation, but fire officials say they are fortunate they did not get burned.

The fire call came in just before 8:15 p.m. on December 11. The two people home at the time were able to get out of the house, but unfortunately the dog was found deceased.

The house sustained heavy fire and smoke damage throughout the first floor and moderate smoke damage to the basement.


Crews are cleaning up and clearing out smoke after scrambling to knock down a house fire in Moorhead around 8 p.m. Wednesday night.

Two people safely evacuated the residence at 1019 11th Avenue South. A dog was later found dead.

According to the assistant fire chief, the fire was contained to one room, but the entire first floor sustained significant smoke damage.

Both The Salvation Army and the American Red Cross were at the scene. A room for a few nights as well as money for food and clothes will be provided to the homeowners.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.