Quantcast

UPDATE: Gasoline in Fireplace Starts Moorhead House Fire - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

UPDATE: Gasoline in Fireplace Starts Moorhead House Fire

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE

The Moorhead Fire Department has determined the cause of a fire on Wednesday night that killed an area family's pet.  The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

Assistant Fire Marshal Chad Stangeland says gasoline was used to start a fire in the fireplace, and that is what created the fire. Stangeland says this highlights the dangers of gasoline and that is should never be used to start a fire, inside or outside.

Stangeland says gasoline vapors can accumulate very quickly and when ignited can cause flash fires, with a high probability of burning the person starting the fire. In this case, both occupants only had slight smoke inhalation, but fire officials say they are fortunate they did not get burned.

The fire call came in just before 8:15 p.m. on December 11. The two people home at the time were able to get out of the house, but unfortunately the dog was found deceased.

The house sustained heavy fire and smoke damage throughout the first floor and moderate smoke damage to the basement.

ORIGINAL STORY

Crews are cleaning up and clearing out smoke after scrambling to knock down a house fire in Moorhead around 8 p.m. Wednesday night.

Two people safely evacuated the residence at 1019 11th Avenue South. A dog was later found dead.

According to the assistant fire chief, the fire was contained to one room, but the entire first floor sustained significant smoke damage.

Both The Salvation Army and the American Red Cross were at the scene. A room for a few nights as well as money for food and clothes will be provided to the homeowners.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Head on Collision Injures Two

    Head on Collision Injures Two

    Two drivers were hurt in a headon collision in Otter Tail County Saturday night.The Minnesota State Patrol says Jacquelyn Burrows, 63, of Pelican Rapids, was seriously injured. Troopers say Kelsey Laugen, 18, of Elk River, was hurt with non-life threatening injuries.According to an agency report, Burrows was traveling North on Highway 59 near 450th Street when she crossed the center line and hit Laugen head on. It happened at about 8:45 Saturday night.
    Two drivers were hurt in a headon collision in Otter Tail County Saturday night.The Minnesota State Patrol says Jacquelyn Burrows, 63, of Pelican Rapids, was seriously injured. Troopers say Kelsey Laugen, 18, of Elk River, was hurt with non-life threatening injuries.According to an agency report, Burrows was traveling North on Highway 59 near 450th Street when she crossed the center line and hit Laugen head on. It happened at about 8:45 Saturday night.
  • Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
  • Update: Beltrami Fire Ruled Accidental

    Beltrami Business Believed to be Total Loss After Fire

    Beltrami Fire Department says part of a business is destroyed after an early morning fire. Firefighters say they were called out around 1:00 a.m. to a fire at the Beltrami Mall.  Crews say West Central
    The Beltrami Fire Chief says is investigating the cause of the fire and say they believe it started in the shop area. The Safety Director for West Ag believes the entire building is a total loss.
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.