Quantcast

Toddler Who Ate Detergent Pod Goes Home - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Toddler Who Ate Detergent Pod Goes Home

Posted: Updated:

THURSDAY (10/10) UPDATE:

After more than a week in the hospital, the Minnesota boy who ate a tide laundry pod is on his way home.

Alex Rohde swallowed a tide pod last Saturday. He was lifeflighted to Sanford Health in Fargo. He spent several days in the pediatric intensive care unit.

"He still needs some medication and he still needs to get some of his strength back," Alex's mother Michelle Klienschmidt told Valley News Live. She recalls the days in the hospital, and says she's thankful for the hospital staff and glad to be bringing him home.

"Just wondering if he was going to pull through. It was pretty scary especially when he was on the ventilator. I think he's doing very good.. He's a strong little boy."

MONDAY (10/7) UPDATE:

The one-year-old boy from Hitterdal, Minnesota, who swallowed part of a Tide detergent packet is reaching a major recovery milestone.

Alex Rohde is being moved out of the pediatric intensive care unit, according to his CaringBridge page. Alex's family also says if he continues to improve, he could be going home in just a couple of days.

If you would like to help Alex's family with mounting hospital bills, you can drop of a donation at any Gate City Bank location.

FRIDAY (10/4) UPDATE:

The little boy who accidentally ate a laundry detergent pod is now breathing on his own.

The aunt of one-year-old Alex Rohde posted on his CaringBridge site that Alex was taken off the breathing tubes on Friday Morning and is "breathing on his own." She says he "is requiring lots of oxygen and being a little feisty," but adds "that is ok with us."

It's been a journey this past week for one-year-old Alex Rohde, one that many of us will never take in our lifetime.

"He's had a little withdrawal but he's been doing good," says Michelle Klienschmidt, Alex's Mother.

Awake for the first time in a week, after swallowing a Tide detergent pod.

They're going to watch him and give him medication for withdrawals," says Klienschmidt.

Now, Alex's family is heading down another path, aimed at changing the warning labels on pods and the ay they are packaged.

"Those were the two biggest things we're trying to work on." Klienschmidt explains.

They have started a petition hoping for change, because the family says no child should have to endure the same road Alex has been on. They will continue to fight for change while Alex begins his road to recovery.

For more information on the petition, click on the link to the right of this story.
---------------------

The family of a Minnesota baby who's in the hospital after he ate a laundry detergent pod says he's continuing to improve. 

According to the families CaringBridge site, doctors hope to remove his breathing tube Friday and have already started weaning him off sedation medication.

The goal is to move one-year-old Alex Rohde, from Hitterdal, out of intensive care next Monday. Alex has been in the hospital for about a week now, and his family says he is still pretty sick.

The family says they want the company to change the look of the pods because they believe they look too much like candy. His aunt has created a petition to send to Tide to change the warning label on the packaging.

Poison Control Centers have received more than 9,000 reports of children 5 and under coming in contact with or swallowing pods since early 2012. 

A petition is circulating online asking the Tide company to change its pod design to make them less attractive to children. Click on the link to the right of this story to see the petition.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Head on Collision Injures Two

    Head on Collision Injures Two

    Two drivers were hurt in a headon collision in Otter Tail County Saturday night.The Minnesota State Patrol says Jacquelyn Burrows, 63, of Pelican Rapids, was seriously injured. Troopers say Kelsey Laugen, 18, of Elk River, was hurt with non-life threatening injuries.According to an agency report, Burrows was traveling North on Highway 59 near 450th Street when she crossed the center line and hit Laugen head on. It happened at about 8:45 Saturday night.
    Two drivers were hurt in a headon collision in Otter Tail County Saturday night.The Minnesota State Patrol says Jacquelyn Burrows, 63, of Pelican Rapids, was seriously injured. Troopers say Kelsey Laugen, 18, of Elk River, was hurt with non-life threatening injuries.According to an agency report, Burrows was traveling North on Highway 59 near 450th Street when she crossed the center line and hit Laugen head on. It happened at about 8:45 Saturday night.
  • Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
  • Update: Beltrami Fire Ruled Accidental

    Beltrami Business Believed to be Total Loss After Fire

    Beltrami Fire Department says part of a business is destroyed after an early morning fire. Firefighters say they were called out around 1:00 a.m. to a fire at the Beltrami Mall.  Crews say West Central
    The Beltrami Fire Chief says is investigating the cause of the fire and say they believe it started in the shop area. The Safety Director for West Ag believes the entire building is a total loss.
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.