Quantcast

MN boy in intensive care after swallowing Tide Pod - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

MN boy in intensive care after swallowing Tide Pod

Posted: Updated:

It's a frightening situation that no parent wants to see: their child accidentally swallowing a household object, filled with dangerous - and possibly deadly - chemicals.


On September 24th, Alexander Rohde celebrated his first birthday.
Today, Alex is in the children's intensive care unit at Sanford Hospital in Fargo as doctors work to save his life.

"Everybody's praying for him," says Cindy Hieb, Alex's grandmother.

His family says Alex got a hold of a Tide Pod and swallowed it.

"He ingested it and when I realized what he did, the label said to give him milk and he started throwing up really bad," says Michelle Klienschmidt, Alex's mother.

After his mother Michelle called Poison Control, then 911, this little boy was flown by helicopter to the hospital.

"His breathing got worst and when they handed him to me, he stopped breathing," says Klienschmidt.

For the past two days, Alex has been sedated.

"We can't take him off sedation because he did aspirate," says Klienschmidt.
"We don't want to be here, but we are here to support my sister and Alex," says Angie Eggert, Alex's aunt.

The family says they are not surprised that a little child would eat one of these because this pod looks more like a gummy treat. The family says it's time to change the look of these.

"I want to get this awareness out to other parents that it looks like candy," says Cindy Hieb, Alex's grandmother.

Now all this family can do is hope and pray, for a full recovery.

"There's no information how he'll be. He needs a ventilator to breath right now," says Klienschmidt.

Poison control centers have received more than 9,500 reports of children five and under coming in contact with or swallowing pods since early 2012.
The first reported death came this past August, when a one-year-old died after swallowing one in Florida.
Alex's family has set up a caring bridge website. Just go to caringbridge.org/visit/alexanderrohde

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Pilot Killed in Lisbon, ND Plane Crash

    Pilot Killed in Lisbon, ND Plane Crash

    A pilot is dead after crashing his plane into a wheat field just northwest of Lisbon, ND.
    A pilot is dead after crashing his plane into a wheat field just northwest of Lisbon, ND.
  • Blind Man Runs For Cystic Fibrosis

    Blind Man Runs For Cystic Fibrosis

    A blind Dekalb, IL man has been seen running through Jamestown on his 11,000 mile trek to raise awareness for Cystic Fibrosis.David Kuhn is running for his 12-year-old granddaughter Kylie who is afflicted with the disease. So far Kuhn has raised over $3,400 for the cystic Fibrosis Foundation.To donate or to run with Kuhn, visit itsallicando.blogspot.com
    A blind Dekalb, IL man has been seen running through Jamestown on his 11,000 mile trek to raise awareness for Cystic Fibrosis.David Kuhn is running for his 12-year-old granddaughter Kylie who is afflicted with the disease. So far Kuhn has raised over $3,400 for the cystic Fibrosis Foundation.To donate or to run with Kuhn, visit itsallicando.blogspot.com
  • What is it? Z!ng Restaurant!

    What is it? Z!ng Restaurant!

    Gourmet take-and-make meals are designed for busy families who want fresh, whole foods. You can order using your smart phone, pick it up, then heat it up at home.
    Gourmet take-and-make meals are designed for busy families who want fresh, whole foods. You can order using your smart phone, pick it up, then heat it up at home.
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.