Cigarette Causes $50,000 in Damage to Grand Forks Home - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Cigarette Causes $50,000 in Damage to Grand Forks Home

Posted: Updated:

Shortly before 9:00 Monday morning, the Grand Forks Fire Department was dispatched to 5003 6th Avenue North for a report of a fire on the deck.  The fire started in the back of the house and traveled up into the eves to the attic of the structure.

The homeowner was home at the time of the fire and tried extinguishing it using a garden hose.  Fire crews cut holes in the roof to gain access to the fire within the attic space. 

Damage has been estimated to be $50,000.  Much of the fire damage was contained to the siding and roof and moderate smoke damage within the home. 

No one was injured during the fire.  Cause has been determined by a Grand Forks Fire Department Fire Marshal to be accidental due to the improper disposal of cigarettes. Cigarettes should be disposed of in a fire proof container such as a metal can and keep these containers away from the home and off wood decks. 

The Grand Forks Fire Department was assisted by the Grand Forks Police Department, Altru Ambulance, Grand Forks Public Safety Answering Point and the Red Cross. 

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.