Quantcast

Healthier Me: Common Household Items Sending Kids to ER - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Healthier Me: Common Household Items Sending Kids to ER

Posted: Updated:

Common household items could be putting your kids at risk. 

Nearly 3,000 kids were sent to emergency rooms after swallowing coin-sized button batteries.

From Sanford Health:

(Fargo, ND) – There is a disturbing trend in emergency rooms today: Children are swallowing button batteries at an alarming rate, with 2,837 cases reported in the U.S. in 2012 according to the National Capital Poison Center. That's an average of eight kids seen in ERs every day.

Coin-sized button battery swallowing cases resulting in serious injury or death more than quadrupled from 2006-2010 compared to the five years prior. Safe Kids Worldwide and Energizer have teamed up to share life-saving information about the potential risks of swallowing these coin-sized batteries.
 
"Parents and caregivers often don't realize that coin-sized button batteries are included in common devices around the home," said Bobbi Paper Schwantes, Safe Kids Fargo-Moorhead "Too often devices containing small batteries are left within the reach of young children, and they are often easy to open. Little kids are curious and often put things in their mouths, including button batteries.

When a child swallows a coin lithium button battery, the saliva triggers an electrical current which causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours.

These batteries power common products around the home.
 
Common Locations for Button Batteries
• Mini remote control devices that control DCD players and MP3 speakers
• Flameless candles
• Remote Keyless Entry Devices (Key fobs)
• Calculators
• Bathroom scales
• Reading lights
• Talking and singing books

What You Can Do
•SEARCH your home, and any place your child goes, for gadgets that may contain button batteries.

•SECURE button battery-powered devices out of sight and reach of children. Keep loose batteries locked away. To secure the battery in a television remote control, a simple fix is to put a large piece of duct tape over the controller to prevent small children from accessing the battery.

•PUT the National Battery Ingestion Hotline (202-625-3333) into your phone. Hopefully you'll never need to call it, but in case you do, you can call anytime for additional treatment information.

•SHARE this life-saving information with caregivers, friends, family members and sitters. Together, we can all make a difference in keeping children safe.

In 2011, Energizer and Safe Kids joined together to create The Battery Controlled, a partnership to share life-saving information with parents and caregivers about the potential risks of swallowing coin lithium batteries. The program shines a light on a growing issue and provides simple steps that parents and caregivers can take to prevent injuries to children.

In addition to its awareness efforts, in 2012 Energizer introduced coin cell battery packaging that meets strict guidelines for child-resistant packaging set by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Energizer has conducted research to understand the root cause of the chemical reaction that occurs when a coin lithium button battery is swallowed and has collaborated with health and safety professionals and others in the industry to share its findings in search of a solution.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.