Quantcast

Ariel Castro pleads guilty in Ohio kidnap case - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Ariel Castro pleads guilty in Ohio kidnap case

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE

CLEVELAND (AP) - A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has pleaded guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro entered the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors are recommending the 53-year-old Castro be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro says a pornography addiction and "sexual problem" have taken a toll on his mind. He also says he was sexually abused as a child.

 

He had been charged in a 977-count indictment. He is pleading guilty to 937 counts.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They escaped from Castro's house May 6.

ORIGINAL STORY

A man accused of kidnapping three women, keeping them captive in his Cleveland home for about a decade and raping them repeatedly faces a final pretrial hearing a day after his attorneys and prosecutors said they have entered into plea negotiations. 

The 53-year-old Ariel Castro is scheduled to appear in court Friday morning before a Cuyahoga County judge who wants to be updated on the talks. 

Plea deal negotiations are hinging on whether the prosecutor would rule out the death penalty as the defense has demanded.

 Castro, whose trial is slated to start August 5, has pleaded not guilty to nearly 1,000 counts of kidnap, rape and other crimes. His indictment includes two counts of aggravated murder related to accusations he punched and starved one of the women until she miscarried. 

The women escaped to freedom in May.

 

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Head on Collision Injures Two

    Head on Collision Injures Two

    Two drivers were hurt in a headon collision in Otter Tail County Saturday night.The Minnesota State Patrol says Jacquelyn Burrows, 63, of Pelican Rapids, was seriously injured. Troopers say Kelsey Laugen, 18, of Elk River, was hurt with non-life threatening injuries.According to an agency report, Burrows was traveling North on Highway 59 near 450th Street when she crossed the center line and hit Laugen head on. It happened at about 8:45 Saturday night.
    Two drivers were hurt in a headon collision in Otter Tail County Saturday night.The Minnesota State Patrol says Jacquelyn Burrows, 63, of Pelican Rapids, was seriously injured. Troopers say Kelsey Laugen, 18, of Elk River, was hurt with non-life threatening injuries.According to an agency report, Burrows was traveling North on Highway 59 near 450th Street when she crossed the center line and hit Laugen head on. It happened at about 8:45 Saturday night.
  • Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
  • Update: Beltrami Fire Ruled Accidental

    Beltrami Business Believed to be Total Loss After Fire

    Beltrami Fire Department says part of a business is destroyed after an early morning fire. Firefighters say they were called out around 1:00 a.m. to a fire at the Beltrami Mall.  Crews say West Central
    The Beltrami Fire Chief says is investigating the cause of the fire and say they believe it started in the shop area. The Safety Director for West Ag believes the entire building is a total loss.
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.