Moorhead man's journey living with West Nile Virus - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Moorhead man's journey living with West Nile Virus

Posted: Updated:

A Moorhead man is lucky to be alive after he contracted the west nile virus nearly a year ago.
He hopes his story can inspire others to protect themselves from the pesky mosquitoes.

Playing with his dog,Bella, Garrick Larson can only smile knowing where he was at a year ago.

"It was July 11th. I was out on a run and thought something was wrong. I went to the doctor and they said it was a standard cold," says Larson.

It would take two weeks and two more trips to doctors, before Garrick found himself in the emergency room.

"I thought I was going to die," says Larson.

Larson had meningitis.

"There was a point where I would fall asleep and think I wasn't going to wake up," says Larson.

While in the hospital, Larson underwent many tests.

"It took a while to get the test back but it turned out that I had West Nile that caused the meningitis," says Larson.

It took months for Larson to feel even a little better.

"I went through episodes all fall," says Larson.

And as he sits here today, he is still not 100 percent.

"I still have headaches but they are shorter. They only last about 5 days instead of weeks," says Larson.

And although there were times Larson didn't think he'd make it, he says he's living proof to just  how bad mosquitoes can be and how one simple spray can make all the difference.

Larson always keep protection near by and hopes others will do the same.
Because he doesn't want any one to suffer the same bite that's put him through so much the past year.

"It's amazing what a tiny mosquito can do," says Larson.


For more information on the west nile virus, visit these links:




Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.