Quantcast

Healthier Me: Fireworks Safety - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Healthier Me: Fireworks Safety

Posted: Updated:

As fun as fireworks can be, they can also be extremely dangerous.

Many children are only aware of the beauty aspect and may not be aware how much injury and damage fireworks can actually cause.

Every year Sanford Health doctors say they see fireworks related injuries in their emergency room. And, they say they are preventable injuries.

The experts say kids should never touch fireworks. Even with adult supervision, all it takes is a child to make one quick wrong move for a fun situation to turn dangerous.

Doctors say a kid favorite is what sends most kids to the ER on July 4th.

Sanford pediatrician Dr. Scott Stephens says, "most people think sparklers are fun and safe, but they actually burn at 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. That's hot enough to melt glass so, if a child get their hands on a sparkler they can get severe injuries, very quickly."

The sparkler wire also stays hot long after the flame has burned out, so drop the used sparklers directly in a bucket of water.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.