Quantcast

Consumer Reports: Super-Absorbent Toy Balls Caution - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Consumer Reports: Super-Absorbent Toy Balls Caution

Posted: Updated:

 

They're colorful and alluring, but Consumer Reports says there's a potential safety
hazard with popular small toy balls and beads that expand dramatically in water. There
are many of those super-absorbent polymer balls on the market, although one was
recalled late last year—Dunecraft Water Balz.

It was recalled after an 8-month-old swallowed one. She was rushed to the hospital,
where doctors couldn't see anything on the X-ray. But in surgery they removed a ball
almost 1 1/2 inches in diameter from her small intestine. Her pediatric surgeon said, "If
nothing had been done, the intestines would have perforated, the child would have had
significant infection and sepsis, and could have possibly died from it."

Consumer Reports examined the recalled Dunecraft Water Balz fresh out of its
package. And then the identical ball that soaked in water for two days. Consumer
Reports also looked at tiny polymer beads that are still on the market, including Orbeez.
Though their full size is much smaller than the banned Water Balz, Consumer Reports
says that they also pose a safety hazard for small children. The products look a lot like
candy or gum, but they can expand enough within a few hours to block the intestine or
airway of a small child.

The Orbeez beads do carry warnings. On the front the package says, "Choking hazard
… not for children under three years." On the back it says, "Not suitable for children
under the age of five." Meanwhile Orbeez, whose beads are smaller than others on
the market, says its tests show the toy is "safe for the children for whom it is intended."
Orbeez says the balls should pass through their digestive tract. However, Consumer
Reports says all products of this type can pose a choking hazard or risk of a blocked
airway for any small child The Consumer Product Safety Commission says it's currently
investigating polymer balls and beads.

Although additional injuries have not yet been documented in the U.S., several have
been reported in other countries, including one fatality. All types of super-absorbent
polymer balls have been banned in Italy and Malaysia. The Consumer Product Safety
Commission says it regards "the incident involving the 8-month-old girl to be very
serious, and as a result CPSC staff are taking a broader look at this product class."

The balls are found not only in toys but are also sold widely as decorations. Consumer
Reports strongly urges that parents and caregivers keep those products out of the reach
of small children.

 

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Head on Collision Injures Two

    Head on Collision Injures Two

    Two drivers were hurt in a headon collision in Otter Tail County Saturday night.The Minnesota State Patrol says Jacquelyn Burrows, 63, of Pelican Rapids, was seriously injured. Troopers say Kelsey Laugen, 18, of Elk River, was hurt with non-life threatening injuries.According to an agency report, Burrows was traveling North on Highway 59 near 450th Street when she crossed the center line and hit Laugen head on. It happened at about 8:45 Saturday night.
    Two drivers were hurt in a headon collision in Otter Tail County Saturday night.The Minnesota State Patrol says Jacquelyn Burrows, 63, of Pelican Rapids, was seriously injured. Troopers say Kelsey Laugen, 18, of Elk River, was hurt with non-life threatening injuries.According to an agency report, Burrows was traveling North on Highway 59 near 450th Street when she crossed the center line and hit Laugen head on. It happened at about 8:45 Saturday night.
  • Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
  • Update: Beltrami Fire Ruled Accidental

    Beltrami Business Believed to be Total Loss After Fire

    Beltrami Fire Department says part of a business is destroyed after an early morning fire. Firefighters say they were called out around 1:00 a.m. to a fire at the Beltrami Mall.  Crews say West Central
    The Beltrami Fire Chief says is investigating the cause of the fire and say they believe it started in the shop area. The Safety Director for West Ag believes the entire building is a total loss.
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.