Quantcast

Healthier Me: Household Poison Awareness - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Healthier Me: Household Poison Awareness

Posted: Updated:

You may not think of it, but the leading cause of in home deaths, is poisoning. Poison control centers across the country take in an estimated two million calls for help every year.

This week marks national poison awareness week, a time designed at educating families on just how dangerous household poisons, such as cleaners and medications can be.

Experts recommend keeping locks on cabinets and storing medications on high up "out of reach" shelves where children can't get a hold of them.

Jeff Wallin, Assistant Chief, with the Moorhead Fire Department, showed just how dangerous chemicals can be when mixed together on the Valley Today. By mixing ammonia and bleach, creating a chlorine gas.

Wallin, reminds that when you buy any cleaners or medications you should be aware of the warning labels on the product and know what to do if you ingest or get any on you. Also taking advantage of police departments that have a disposal program for unused prescriptions is highly recommended.

If you do find yourself or someone else who's come into contact with a chemical or medication and needs help, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 or 911 immediately.  

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.