Quantcast

Restaurant Report Card - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Restaurant Report Card

Posted: Updated:

We went through the restaurant health inspection forms over the past week and found the restaurants that had the most violations in this week's Restaurant Report Card.

Valley News Live found two restaurants that were not up to grade.

The first one that had violations was the Hardee's just off Main Avenue and Interstate-29. The restaurant was tagged for several items including dirty floors from food debris throughout the cooking, sandwich prep and dry storage areas.

Food debris was also building up on the floors of the walk-in cooler and freezer and the wall by the deep fat fryers.

We also looked into Habib Cuisine, which is located at 2225 13th Avenue South. 

Food debris was accumulating on a kitchen work table, a microwave and a storage shelf. The floors in the kitchen and near the front service counter had food build up as well.

There was also grease debris in some areas of the kitchen exhaust hood.

But what do violations like the cleanliness issues for the two restaurants mean? We went directly to the health inspectors to find out.

Myron Berglund, the Environmental Health Director for Fargo Cass Public Health says these violations are little. They are more indicators than anything.

"What it does do is give us kind of a measuring stick or a way to catch the, not catch, but to read how much emphasis this place is putting on cleaning and sanitation," says Berglund.

Eventually if the food debris is not cleaned up it could lead to insects and rodents, but Berglund says you need to keep one thing in mind.

He says, "I doubt you could ever go into any restaurant that exists and not maybe find one or two items that need to be cleaned. In our own homes we would find that in the kitchen."

It really comes down to one thing for the health inspectors.

"It's not to have restaurants with great scores or great inspections, it's to prevent food borne outbreaks," says Berglund.

He also notes that food borne illness outbreaks hardly ever crop up in this area.

-----

This segment is not all about finding the most serious violators. We also present a clean plate award to restaurants that stand out on their inspections.

This week's clean plate award goes to Longhorn Steakhouse on 13th Avenue in South Fargo. In its most recent inspection, the steakhouse came out with no violations.

Restaurant managers say there are many people to thank for receiving the award.

CJ Stenzel says, "It's all the systems that we have, everything that we take very seriously because the health and safety of our guests is always the number one concern. It feels good to be affirmed in everything we do on a daily basis."

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
  • Update: Beltrami Fire Ruled Accidental

    Beltrami Business Believed to be Total Loss After Fire

    Beltrami Fire Department says part of a business is destroyed after an early morning fire. Firefighters say they were called out around 1:00 a.m. to a fire at the Beltrami Mall.  Crews say West Central
    The Beltrami Fire Chief says is investigating the cause of the fire and say they believe it started in the shop area. The Safety Director for West Ag believes the entire building is a total loss.
  • Churches Are Filling Up With "Chreasters"

    Churches Are Filling Up With "Chreasters"

    When Easter and Christmas are near studies show more Americans type the word "church" in their online search engines, hoping to find a nearby holiday service. And local pastors agree more people attend
    When Easter and Christmas are near studies show more Americans type the word "church" in their online search engines, hoping to find a nearby holiday service. And local pastors agree more people attend
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.