Quantcast

Restaurant Report Card - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Restaurant Report Card

Posted: Updated:

Every Tuesday at Valley News Live we're bringing you a new segment called Restaurant Report Card. A member of the Valley News Live investigative team checks into public records of the health inspector reports. Then, we find the most serious violations and break them down so you know what's going on in the kitchens of local restaurants.

Our first stop is in south Fargo at the Vista Inn and Suites' Karma Indian Cuisine restaurant. Their most recent inspection by the health inspector turned up 10 non-critical and 2 critical violations.

The manager Gary Sings says they're trying to fix some of the problems they ran into earlier in January, "I always except my mistakes and if somebody is telling me what's wrong, and this is what's supposed to be done, I do it."

  1. First off, their chicken was held at an unacceptable temperature. The chicken was at 125 degrees rather than the recommended 165 degrees.
  2. The restaurant also had left-over food in the walk-in cooler that wasn't date marked, to prove when it was prepared and how long it's been sitting.
  3. One violation stands out as out-of-the-ordinary: it had to do with a mattress, bedding, clothes and a iron that were found in the kitchen area. At first glance it appears someone had turned the kitchen into a bedroom.

"I came from Minneapolis so my friend needs a mattress so I thought ok I am gonna bring you something keep it here tonight and tomorrow we'll take care of it," Sing explains.  "It was like 1:00 in the morning and it was heavy, so I kept it in the doorway 'cause in the morning I'd take care of it."

The health inspector says no one was likely sleeping in the kitchen. As for the iron, Sing says that it's used for pressing linens for table tops in the restaurant.

The second restaurant we looked at was The Golden Corral in Fargo. They had five violations on their most recent inspection. No critical violations were found, but the issues were still things that had to be dealt with according to General Manager Jerry Allen.

The health inspection turned up:

  1. Old, dried food was found in their desert display case and chocolate fountain
  2. The health inspector also wrote them up for dirty garbage's
  3. The deep fryer in the kitchen had a grease and food build up when the inspector paid a visit

Allen explains why they took care of the problem,"You know the mundane things that you would forget like the little bits of food on the floor it's nowhere near food so we're not thinking about food contact. But it still could attract pests and stuff so we want to stay on top of them."

These are violations that are minor but all the same, the manager is taking a proactive approach to ensure customers enjoy their visit.

"We can clean anything once but the important thing was to set the system in place to make sure they stay clean and that's what we did."

We don't just show you the bad news in our Restaurant Report Cards. One local restaurant, JL Beers in downtown Fargo hasn't had a health code violation in over a year! Valley News Live presented them with a Clean Plate Award to proudly display in their window so customers know they've kept on the right side of the health inspector for some time.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Fire In Horace, House Is Total Loss

    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
    Crews were called at 10:10 a.m. to a house fire at7113 Woodland Circle north of Horace. Homeowners were inside at the time, but escaped, and no one was hurt. Crews battled the fire for hours; the home is a total loss. There is no cause at this time, they are still investigating. Firefighters say they had to fight the fire from outside, which makes the battle more difficult. Horace, West Fargo, and Davenport firefighters responded with help from the FM ambulance and the Cass County Sheriff’s D...
  • Update: Beltrami Fire Ruled Accidental

    Beltrami Business Believed to be Total Loss After Fire

    Beltrami Fire Department says part of a business is destroyed after an early morning fire. Firefighters say they were called out around 1:00 a.m. to a fire at the Beltrami Mall.  Crews say West Central
    The Beltrami Fire Chief says is investigating the cause of the fire and say they believe it started in the shop area. The Safety Director for West Ag believes the entire building is a total loss.
  • Churches Are Filling Up With "Chreasters"

    Churches Are Filling Up With "Chreasters"

    When Easter and Christmas are near studies show more Americans type the word "church" in their online search engines, hoping to find a nearby holiday service. And local pastors agree more people attend
    When Easter and Christmas are near studies show more Americans type the word "church" in their online search engines, hoping to find a nearby holiday service. And local pastors agree more people attend
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.