Hockey Player Recovers After Big Hit - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Hockey Player Recovers After Big Hit

Posted: Updated:

A Detroit Lakes hockey player is recovering after a big hit that ended up putting him in the hospital. Junior Brandon Olson was hospitalized for three days after what his family says was an illegal hit.

"dad's friend taught me how to skate and I just kind of fell in love with it." Brandon Olson says.

Every game is a lasting memory for a high school hockey player. Brandon thinks back, "I remember getting led up to the hit." But Brandon doesn't remember all of his last game. He tries to remember, "I don't even remember him coming in to hit me, and then when my teammates helped up get off the ice I didn't even I guess I didn't even know how long I was un conscious for."

His Detroit Lakes team was playing Crookston last week when a hit left him laying on the ice.

"I was out for 2-3 minutes." Brandon says. His father Ross Olson wasn't at the game but remembers getting the phone call about his son, "My heart sank and you just kind of wonder, okay what's uh, you know what's really wrong, and how bad is this one because it's happened before."

This is Brandon's sixth concussion. Out of all six this is the first he got to see on video, and watching it for the first time he, his parents and coaches wonder why nothing was done during the game to penalize the player who illegally hit him.

"I know hockey's a physical sport and I love that about hockey, but um yeah that wasn't a clean hit by far." says Brandon who spent a week with his team learning about how to hit correctly and safely.  Ross Olson agrees, "The refs were really supposed to control this year if somebody got hit and got knocked out, it's an automatic penalty your out of the game and you're out of the next game, and where this one here the ref just sat and watched it happen."

A CAT scan showed he had blood on his brain, and after spending three days in a hospital in Fargo, he was finally released. He's now focused on getting over a concussion and getting back into a regular routine.

"I'm really happy that I am home but I'm just kind of taking things day by day, like finding out what my limits are." Brandon says. He's taking each day slowly so he can make his way back out on the ice again.

Brandon has a doctors appointment on Wednesday to see if he can be cleared to go back to school, but he won't be returning on the ice for another six to twelve weeks.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.