Quantcast

Mother Complains of Mold in NDSU Dorm - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Mother Complains of Mold in NDSU Dorm

Posted: Updated:

UPDATED: 01/17 6:15 p.m.

It is not what anyone wants to see, especially at a place where university students are living, but there is a small mold problem.

A concerned parent sent us multiple pictures after she found mold in her son's dorm room at North Dakota State University.

She was worried that other students would have to deal with the mold, so she called Valley News Live for help. We asked NDSU the tough questions including: Is something like this acceptable?

The concerned mom is wondering why a mold problem in Churchill Hall, that was noticed around Thanksgiving, continued to grow after Christmas break.

She says, "They basically just told him to adjust the heater cause they thought maybe it was putting out too much heat."

She fears that behind paneling in the room is a lot more mold.

We wanted to find out whether the fears of this parent are concerning to the university. We sat down with Residence Life Director Rian Nostrum and showed him the pictures sent to us.

Nostrum says, "It's not acceptable when it comes up, and that's why we take it so seriously."

Nostrum is trying to find who the mother and son first showed the mold to. He says once it was brought to his attention action was taken immediately.

"We would prefer to remove the folks that are living there completely so we can actually pull the wall apart," says Nostrum.

The university is trying to figure out where the mold originated. Once officials know that, they will know a timeline for fixing it. No students will be allowed back in the room until at least next semester.

Nostrum says, "I can't afford not to be taking this serious because this is an environment where I need our students to be successful in not just the rest of this year, but next year, the following years."

He hopes the fears of this mother will soon end, as he makes sure this issue does not linger any longer.

Nostrum says a lot of times the only way to know there is a problem like mold is to have it surface.

He says the university does its best to maintain all its buildings through replacing things like windows and roofs after a number of years.

---------

The mother a freshman at North Dakota State University tells Valley News Live one of the dormitories may have a mold problem.  Her son lived in Churchill and says he noticed mold growing on the wall and near the floor.

According to the mother, when staff was told about the problem, nothing was done. The student says he cleaned off the mold, but by Christmas break it was growing back.

Valley News Team's Brandon Clark is meeting with the mom today, and a call has been made to North Dakota State University. Valley News Live is waiting for a response from university officials.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.