New Town, ND Standoff is Over - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

New Town, ND Standoff is Over

Posted: Updated:


  An armed standoff at a house in New Town, ND is over. FBI agent Kyle Loven told Valley News Live that is ended around 10am on Thursday. The standoff lasted more than 24 hours. 

  No shots were fired while taking the suspect into custody.

  The FBI identified the suspect as Michael Jason Smith, who is 32. Police say he was heavily armed.

  Smith faces narcotics charges in Colorado and will likely face additional charges in North Dakota.

  When tribal police first arrived, Smith briefly took three people hostage, but he released them a short time later.

  Students at the nearby high school were in lockdown since the standoff started Wednesday morning. 


  Schools in New Town, ND are in lockdown while law enforcement responds to a situation in a neighborhood near the high school. FBI spokesman Kyle Loven said a man wanted in Colorado on narcotics charges has barricaded himself in a home in New Town.

Loven said he believes the man is alone, but loven said he didn't know if the man is armed. He won't release the man's name, but said he is wanted on several narcotics-related charges.

New Town public schools superintendent Marc Bluestone said he heard from law enforcement shortly after 5:00 Wednesday morning that a community incident was in progress.

He decided to put the schools under lockdown. A couple streets in town are blocked off and Bluestone says he believes the incident is on ninth street, about three blocks north of the high school.

New Town public schools called off classes November 19 after four people there were shot and killed in a home. The suspected gunman in that shooting, Kalcie Eagle, later killed himself.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by 

WorldNowAll content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Valley News Live. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.